Consumers today are shopping more online than ever before, which means retailers are looking for ways to increase shipping quantity and speed, while maintaining the bottom line. Less-than-truckload (LTL) shipping services can expedite the shipping process and maintain cost when compared to shipping individual parcels. Pairing LTL shipping with warehousing services can also help retailers offering in-store fulfillment, online returns, and back order fulfillment.
To make the most of LTL services this holiday season, and avoid any unwanted hiccups during the holiday season, follow these LTL holiday shipping tips from your friends at Amware.
Prepare for Success
During the holiday rush, things can go awry. Details get missed, and items get lost. To ensure this doesn’t happen, prepare for success by double-checking the little things as often as possible.
- Sign up for weather-related updates from your carrier, so you’re the first to know when there’s a delay due to ice, snow, or winter storms.
- Triple-check holiday operating hours with carriers, shippers, and receivers to ensure the right people will be available at the right time.
- Confirm appointments and early closing times with carriers, especially during winter weather, to ensure nothing gets missed.
Holiday budgets are tight, especially when year-end reporting is on the line. So it’s vitally important that shipments arrive on time and that there aren’t any additional fees incurred. Freight classifications can cause both, so be sure to check the details before the shipment goes out the door.
- Calibrate scales being used for LTL holiday shipping before the rush to make sure measurements are accurate and avoid the need to reweigh.
- Prepare for miscommunication by documenting both on paper and with photos. If an LTL holiday shipment is mislabeled, documentation could help with reclassification.
Streamline the Process
The loading and unloading process can be as efficient as Santa’s workshop if the proper systems are put into place. As the busy season ramps up, streamlining the process can help save on time and budget.
- Organizing the warehouse for maximum efficiency during loading and unloading can be a huge time saver.
- Preparing paperwork ahead of time, including getting progressive number (PRO) labels from carriers, can speed up the process and make the handoff smoother.
- Optimizing facilities with a third-party logistics platform can help workers keep a digital thumb on tracking and tracing and make it easier to get up-to-the-minute updates on carrier progress.
Partner with Amware
Holiday LTL shipping doesn’t have to be stressful. With the right tools, team, and process, shipping for the holiday season can be an exciting time of growth and abundance for your business.
Learn more about LTL holiday shipping, holiday warehouse services, and how Amware’s third-party logistics platform, Amrate, can help you streamline your holiday shipping this season. Amrate clients save, on average, about 30% on their annual LTL shipping spend. Contact us now to start your 30-day free trial just in time for the holiday rush.